Sunday, December 1, 2013

Reading Log #1 : Life As We Knew It



Life As We Knew It By Susan Beth Pfeffer                                                                            December 1, 2013


Part 1
After reading this novel I felt that Miranda is a brave, strong and tough young woman. In the novel, she really proved to me that everything that we thought is impossible to happen can be possible if we try. I think Miranda is matured enough to think what to do when things gets worst and also she already know how to manage everything so her family can survive.

Life is like a wheel...always turning, always evolving. Sometimes you fall down, sometimes you deflate, but you always manage to keep going, supporting others, and staying strong. Some journeys are longer than others. Some are bumpier than others. But the load of life is a lot easier to bear with a few friends helping out. My family is not as rich as that and not as poor as that. I don’t know if “running out of food” is really happening in normal life but I guess it really is happening for the poor one’s who can’t afford to eat three times a day. There was a time when my father was not able to send us money and for that reason Mom was also not able to buy groceries or I say food for us. She borrowed money from my Aunt and that money is not enough for a one month supply. So what my Mom did was she skips her breakfast and sometimes she only eat at brunch so she’ll be able to save food for us.  I can connect this story of mine to some part of this novel where Miranda’s Mom skips and sometimes not eating her part just to make sure her kids will not starve and also to save food for the coming days. And because of that I was touched and I realized that there’s no such thing as Mother’s love to her children or there’s no other thing you can compare to a Mothers love.

I was wondering why Miranda’s Mom and Dad separated, why actually their family is not fighting? I’m also thinking why his father did came at the point of bringing his mistress into their house? I also couldn’t figure out why at the last part or in the end, Dan did not showed up to Miranda? I’m also wondering what will happen to Miranda’s family after experiencing all those mind blowing catastrophic phenomenon?

After a long time of suffering this catastrophic phenomenon, I guess Miranda and her family would able to recover and live that there’s nothing bad happened. I also think that after Lisa gave birth to her baby they will move to Miranda’s house and show to them the baby. And last I guess after all what had happened, someday Miranda and Dan will see each other again and continue the relationship they’ve started.



Part 2
Entry #9
“Anyone can be a hero, if they just choose to be.” ~ Matt
Matt in the novel is one of my favorite characters. Like Miranda, Matt is also brave and a strong character, and with his attitude, he helps his family specially Miranda to stay strong and never think to give up. He’s the one who always cheers up when someone is feeling quitting and with his words you’ll be totally inspired. I was inspired and amazed by one of his advice to Miranda saying, “Anyone can be a hero, if they just choose to be.”It is so meaningful to me it made me realize that even though I am only a normal being just like others, sometimes weak, sometimes commits mistakes but despite of my flaws , |I can be a hero  to everybody, not literally a hero who have a super powers and can fly to save the world, it’s hero that would save lives by encouraging not to give up easily and there’s no impossible when you just think positive. Like Miranda, there were times that she doesn’t know what to do with his family, all suffering from such disease, but Miranda became a hero, she took care of her Mother and Brothers, fed them, let them drink their medicines and guard them. And with that little things Miranda is a hero for her family.

1 comment: